Drawing, Design for Allegory of Divine Wisdom, Reception Room, Palazzo Barberini, Rome, Italy, 1629–33
This is a Drawing. It is dated 1629–33 and we acquired it in 1901. Its medium is brush and brown wash, pen and brown ink, red, black, and white chalk on off-white laid paper. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
Broad swathes of brown wash block out the figures in this preliminary study for a ceiling fresco in the Palazzo Barberini, Rome. Loose lines delineate the gestures and contours of Divine Wisdom and her eleven maidens. The circle behind Divine Wisdom’s head represents the blinding light of the sun. The sweeping curve at the lower half of the page indicates the earth. In the final fresco, an enormous globe would dominate the composition. The inclusion of these two heavenly bodies can be understood as a response to Galileo’s recently published – and challenged- theories of heliocentricity.
The free exploration evident in this drawing suggest it was among the first of many preparatory drawings for the fresco; several compositional changes would occur between this and the final work. However, this is the only known drawing connected with the project. The design dispenses with all architectural framing devices typically found in illusionistic ceiling frescos. Situated in the large antechamber to the family’s private chapel, viewers are intended to contemplate the scene before entering the chapel, where they could pray for divine wisdom and guidance.
This object was
It is credited
Museum purchase through gift of various donors.
Our curators have highlighted 6 objects that are related to this one. Here are three of them, selected at random:
Its dimensions are
31.2 x 33.3 cm (12 5/16 x 13 1/8 in.)
It is inscribed
Inscribed with point of brush and brown wash, center right: candidezza; inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left: 277
Cite this object as
Drawing, Design for Allegory of Divine Wisdom, Reception Room, Palazzo Barberini, Rome, Italy, 1629–33; Italy; brush and brown wash, pen and brown ink, red, black, and white chalk on off-white laid paper; 31.2 x 33.3 cm (12 5/16 x 13 1/8 in.); Museum purchase through gift of various donors; 1901-39-1714
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Hewitt Sisters Collect.