Drawing, Panel of Arabesques for the Hôtel de Salm, Paris, 1785
This is a Drawing. It is dated 1785 and we acquired it in 1911. Its medium is pen and black ink, brush and gouache, black chalk on toned paper, lined. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
This design for a decorative panel offers a variation on the grotesque motif, an ornamental style that was first seen in ancient Rome. Characterized by the non-narrative assembly of fantastic animals on a two dimensional surface, grotesques were capable of limitless permutations and invited the imagination of countless designers throughout the centuries. The design is host to a lively cast of classical figures: cavorting satyrs, graceful caryatids and plump putti are all connected by a system of garlands and candelabra, together forming a strong vertical axis. Jean-Guillaume Moitte, working in pre-revolutionary France, had stylistic affinities with Ancien Régime designers such as Jean Berain, who helped to revitalize the grotesque in the seventeenth century.
Moitte designed the panel as part of a commission for the Hôtel de Salm in Paris; the artist was one of the main sculptors hired to work on the building, then the private residence of Prince Frederick III of Salm-Kyrburg. The bright turquoise gouache of the drawings is typical of the highly saturated color palette then popular for domestic interiors.
This object was featured in our Object of the Day series in a post titled From Frivolity to Revolt: The Hôtel de Salm’s Role in the French Revolution.
It is credited
Purchased for the Museum by the Advisory Council.
Our curators have highlighted 2 objects that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
43 x 10.1cm (16 15/16 x 4in.) Mat: 55.9 x 40.6 cm (22 x 16 in.) Mount: 46.8 x 13.8 cm (18 7/16 x 5 7/16 in.) Frame: 60.3 x 44.8 x 2.5 cm (23 3/4 in. x 17 5/8 in. x 1 in.)
It is signed
Signed on the mount in pen and black ink, lower right: Moitte sculpteur 1785.
Cite this object as
Drawing, Panel of Arabesques for the Hôtel de Salm, Paris, 1785; Previously owned by Jean Léon Decloux (French, 1840–1929); France; pen and black ink, brush and gouache, black chalk on toned paper, lined; 43 x 10.1cm (16 15/16 x 4in.) Mat: 55.9 x 40.6 cm (22 x 16 in.) Mount: 46.8 x 13.8 cm (18 7/16 x 5 7/16 in.) Frame: 60.3 x 44.8 x 2.5 cm (23 3/4 in. x 17 5/8 in. x 1 in.); Purchased for the Museum by the Advisory Council; 1911-28-219