Leg Splint (USA), 1942
In 1942, husband-and-wife designers Charles and Ray Eames applied their experiments in molding plywood chairs to the war effort. They developed molded plywood splints to substitute for the existing metal. Taking advantage of the military’s technology and the Evans Product Company’s expertise, the mass-producer and distributor of the splints, the Eameses perfected their molded plywood techniques. 150,000 splints were produced for the Navy, which praised them as life-saving, lightweight, and inexpensive. The splint’s biomorphic sculptural form and functional design led to the Eameses’ influential molded plywood chairs.
This object was
It is credited
Gift of Barry Friedman and Patricia Pastor.
Our curators have highlighted 5 objects that are related to this one. Here are three of them, selected at random:
Its dimensions are
L x W x D: 106.7 × 21.6 × 9.5 cm (42 in. × 8 1/2 in. × 3 3/4 in.)
It has the following markings
Stock no S2-1790
Cite this object as
Leg Splint (USA), 1942; laminated and molded birch wood; L x W x D: 106.7 × 21.6 × 9.5 cm (42 in. × 8 1/2 in. × 3 3/4 in.); Gift of Barry Friedman and Patricia Pastor; 1986-99-43
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Energizing the Everyday: Gifts From the George R. Kravis II Collection.