Ewer Ewer, ca. 1800
This is a ewer. It was manufactured by Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory. It is dated ca. 1800 and we acquired it in 1991. Its medium is porcelain, vitreous enamel, gold. It is a part of the Product Design and Decorative Arts department.
In 1800, Napoleon engaged engineer and scientist Alexandre Brongniart as director of the Sèvres porcelain factory. Brongniart introduced new ground colors and patterns to the ceramic designs, made through higher firing temperatures and scientific experimentation with metal oxides. Both the lavender and the green in this ewer are new colors from Brongniart’s era.
It is credited
Museum purchase through gift of Mrs. John Jay Ide, in memory of John Jay Ide.
Our curators have highlighted 2 objects that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
H x W x D: 27.9 × 15.2 × 10.2 cm (11 × 6 × 4 in.)
It has the following markings
Underside:  cursive "Sevres", painted or printed in blue overglaze (manufactory mark)  "81" or "18", incised  "ARMIN B. ALLEN Fine Porcelain", printed in black, surrounding "1373 Sevres c.1800", written in blue ink within oval label
It is inscribed
Cite this object as
Ewer Ewer, ca. 1800; Manufactured by Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory (France); France; porcelain, vitreous enamel, gold; H x W x D: 27.9 × 15.2 × 10.2 cm (11 × 6 × 4 in.); Museum purchase through gift of Mrs. John Jay Ide, in memory of John Jay Ide; 1991-45-1
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Saturated: The Allure and Science of Color.