Box With Lid (Austria), 1910–14
The family-run Austrian glass firm Lobmeyr, founded in the early 1820s, was purveyor to the Imperial Court and remains a leading glass-blowing and -finishing firm today. Throughout its history, Lobmeyr has hired outside designers, not the least of whom was Viennese architect and designer Josef Hoffmann. Most often associated with his co-founding of and subsequent work for the Wiener Werkstatte, Hoffmann occasionally designed for select outside manufacturers when the resulting work was not considered in competition with the Werkstatte. In 1910-1914, he designed various glasswares for Lobmeyr, including a set of boxes with lids. Hoffmann believed that an object’s form and function should derive from the materials used, have obvious construction techniques, lack historical associations, and give the worker joy in creating. He was particularly interested in glass, working with the medium throughout his artistic career. The collaboration between Lobmeyr and Hoffmann, as well as other modern designers at the time, resulted in geometric works that pushed the craftsman’s abilities and became critical pieces in the glassmaking firm’s history, helping to pave the way for their praised 1920s Art Deco wares.
It is credited
Museum purchase through gift of Dale and Doug Anderson, Anonymous Donor, Arthur Liu, and Prairie Pictures, Inc. and from General Acquisitions Endowment Fund.
Our curators have highlighted 5 objects that are related to this one. Here are three of them, selected at random:
Its dimensions are
H x W x D: 4.7 x 14.6 x 7.8 cm (1 7/8 x 5 3/4 x 3 1/16 in.)
Cite this object as
Box With Lid (Austria), 1910–14; Manufactured by J. & L. Lobmeyr GmbH (Austria); glass; H x W x D: 4.7 x 14.6 x 7.8 cm (1 7/8 x 5 3/4 x 3 1/16 in.); Museum purchase through gift of Dale and Doug Anderson, Anonymous Donor, Arthur Liu, and Prairie Pictures, Inc. and from General Acquisitions Endowment Fund; 2009-18-74-a,b