Painting, Interior of Henry de Forest House, 1878
This is a Painting.
This object is not part of the Cooper Hewitt's permanent collection. It was able to spend time at the museum on loan from Smithsonian American Art Museum as part of Passion for the Exotic: Lockwood de Forest, Frederic Church.
De Forest’s first opportunity to work on an interior design project was for his parent’s home. It is also de Forest’s only documented interior prior to his travels in India. The parlor featured a door surround painted to resemble Damascus inlay work, a Satsuma vase on a Middle-Eastern taboret, a paisley shawl on a table in the rear room, and an abundance of oriental rugs. The year before this undertaking, de Forest joined the Society of Decorative Art, founded by interior designer Candace Wheeler to instruct women in handicraft professions. His mother, Julia Weeks de Forest, and his uncle, John A. Weeks, were also involved in the group; De Forest, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and Samuel Colman served as instructors.
It is credited
Smithsonian American Art Museum, Museum purchase.
Its dimensions are
61.3 x 45.7 cm (24 1/8 in. x 18 in.) Frame: 82 x 67.5 x 6.4 cm (32 5/16 x 26 9/16 x 2 1/2 in), approximate depth
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Passion for the Exotic: Lockwood de Forest, Frederic Church.