Gertrud Natzler graduated from the Vienna Handelsakademie in 1926 and studied art and ceramics. In 1933, she met her husband, Otto, with whom she collaborated until 1971. Gertrud threw the clay and Otto glazed and fired the objects. Together they had studied ceramics at the studio of Franz Iskra in Vienna and were later awarded the silver medal at the 1938 World Exhibition in Paris. In that year they fled to the United States, settling in Los Angeles soon after Nazi Germany took over Austria. In the United States the Natzlers had prolific careers, exhibiting their ceramics all over the country.