The Longwy Pottery originally opperated out of a convent in Meurthe et Moselle region of France. The Huart family owned both pottery and convent. In 1865 the pottery passed into the hands of Fernand and Hyppolye d'Huart, who built new workshops producing wares decorated with enamel, known as "Emaux de Longwy," similar in appearance to the cloisonné enamel technique used in metalwork. The enameled faience technique was developed at Longwy in response to the popularity of cloisonne from Persia and Japan. In 1870, factory directors Fernand and Hippolyte d'Huart hired Italian artist, Amedee de Caranza, to create a pottery that resembled cloisonne and would appeal to the general taste for orientalism in... more.