Howard University Gallery of Art
Established in 1928, the Howard University Gallery of Art was directed first by Professor James V. Herring (1897-1969) who founded the Howard University Art Department, and James A. Porter (1905-1970), a professor and artist. The Gallery moved from its original home in Rankin Chapel (built 1895) to the ground floor of Founders Library in 1941. In 1961 it moved again to Childers Hall, where it still operated as of 2019. The Gallery comprises about 1/3 of the University’s Fine Arts complex. Alain Locke (1886-1954), Howard professor and art collector, donated the first items in the Gallery’s African artifacts collection. The African American art collection also includes work of established artists such as... more.