In 1950, Hugo Dreyfuss, an artist, textile designer and printmaker, partnered with the furniture designer, Vladimir Kagan, to form Kagan-Dreyfuss, Inc. The two met through the artist Emanuel Romano, the brother of Dreyfuss’s wife, Beatrice Glicenstein. Prior to partnering with Dreyfuss, Kagan’s business was a family operation, with his father overseeing the factory and his mother running the small shop on East 65th Street. Dreyfuss’s investment in the company enabled them to move to a larger, more prestigious location at 125 East 57th Street. Kagan-Dreyfuss expanded their range of products and began producing a catalog. Dreyfuss took particular interest in printed textiles. In addition to hand printing... more.