This is how we're organized
The Museum’s 6 curatorial departments and its conservation department represent the dynamic range of the collection.
- Archives There are 17 objects from this department which is about 0.01% of our online collection involving 27 people.
- Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design The department of Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design houses works on paper in the fields of architecture, decorative arts, gardens, interiors, jewelry, theater, industrial and graphic design, as well as fine arts. There are 90,971 objects from this department which is about 60.38% of our online collection involving 5,081 people.
- Product Design and Decorative Arts The Product Design and Decorative Arts department encompasses a broad range of decorative arts, industrial and contemporary designs objects including ceramics, furniture, metalwork, lighting, glass, jewelry, architectural elements and industrial design. There are 25,612 objects from this department which is about 17.00% of our online collection involving 3,953 people.
- Textiles The Textiles department represents the full spectrum of woven and non-woven techniques and a wide variety of printing and dyeing methods. There are 25,214 objects from this department which is about 16.74% of our online collection involving 2,688 people.
- Wallcoverings Our Wallcoverings department contains the largest and most varied collection of wallpaper in the United States—from hand-printed, bespoke designs to mass-produced décor and everything inbetween. There are 8,484 objects from this department which is about 5.63% of our online collection involving 1,147 people.
- Digital There are 5 objects from this department involving 14 people.
- Conservation The Conservation department supports the Curatorial Division as well as the Exhibitions and Registrar Departments to preserve the museum’s collection and loaned objects while on exhibition and in storage. The Conservators analyze and treat objects to maximize their longevity, aesthetic quality, and technical interpretation.