Print, Design for the Ten-Deck House, June 16, 1928
This is a Print. It was architect: R. Buckminster Fuller. It is dated June 16, 1928 and we acquired it in 1991. Its medium is mimeograph print, brush and blue watercolor on white wove paper. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
R. Buckminster Fuller was a designer, inventor, architect, engineer, and philosopher but he called himself simply a "comprehensivist." As an optimistic visionary, in 1927 Fuller decided to learn what one individual could do for humanity, considering global, economic, and environmental problems that were then rarely discussed. He designed for future rather than present needs, which is epitomized in the Ten-Deck House, one of his earliest designs for low-cost, mass-produced housing. To install the house, a small bomb would detonate, creating a crater. Then, a dirigible would deliver and lower the pre-constructed house, made of lightweight materials, into the hole. The entire building was structured around a central mast with tension cables that supported the decks, freeing the ground space. Each deck accommodated four living stories. This hand-colored mimeograph print, created using an early version of a photocopying machine, depicts the house from an angle, giving it the look of a skyscraper. Fuller was uninterested in aesthetics and traditional norms, so this image is likely the result of a functional idea, rather than a predetermined visual effort. Although the Ten-Deck House was never realized, he applied its principles to later designs, like the well-known single-family Dymaxion House, for which he created a prototype.
This object was
Max Protetch Gallery and
CGC, Elizabeth Horwitz Marcus and Samantha Finch.
It is credited
Museum purchase from Smithsonian Institution Collections Acquisition Program Fund.
Its dimensions are
27.9 x 21.6 cm (11 in. x 8 1/2 in.) Mat: 45.7 x 35.6 cm (18 x 14 in.)
Cite this object as
Print, Design for the Ten-Deck House, June 16, 1928. mimeograph print, brush and blue watercolor on white wove paper. Museum purchase from Smithsonian Institution Collections Acquisition Program Fund. 1991-53-1.