Drawing, Design for Double Woven Cloth, ca. 1926
This is a Drawing. It was designed by Adelgunde (Gunta) Stölzl. It is dated ca. 1926 and we acquired it in 2011. Its medium is brush and watercolor, pen and black ink on wove paper, mounted on off-white mat board. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
This drawing is by Adelgunde “Gunta” Stölzl, the very significant and prolific German weaver who was instrumental in shifting the focus of the Bauhaus weaving workshops from pictorial works to industrial-ready designs. Her textiles are renowned for their color, their abstract and asymmetrical composition, and their incorporation of new materials.
Stölzl studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Munich prior to entering the Bauhaus in 1919. At the Bauhaus, her courses with Paul Klee influenced her bright and lively color palette and the horizontally-aligned compositions used in her woven art of the 1920s and 30s. By 1925, she was appointed craft master of the weaving workshop, which she ran with Georg Muche; she became the workshop master upon Muche’s departure in 1927. Due to mounting political pressure, Stölzl was asked to step down in 1931. She moved to Zurich where she continued weaving, founding S P H Stoffe with fellow Bauhaus students Gertrude Preiswerk and Heinrich-Otto Hürlimann. After the departure of Hürlimann in 1937, she ran the workshop under the name Handweberei Flora (Flora Handweaving Mill). The company existed for 30 years, after which Stölzl continued weaving independently until her death.
This is a wonderful opportunity to acquire work by one of great female Bauhaus designers. This piece, together with another textile design drawing proposed for acquisition, would be the first examples of Stölzl’s drawings in the museum’s collection.
Its dimensions are
17.9 x 22.4 cm (7 1/16 x 8 13/16 in.); mount: 20.8 x 25.3 cm (8 3/16 x 9 15/16 in.)
Cite this object as
Drawing, Design for Double Woven Cloth, ca. 1926; Designed by Adelgunde (Gunta) Stölzl (German, 1897–1983); Germany; brush and watercolor, pen and black ink on wove paper, mounted on off-white mat board; 17.9 x 22.4 cm (7 1/16 x 8 13/16 in.); mount: 20.8 x 25.3 cm (8 3/16 x 9 15/16 in.); Museum purchase from General Acquisitions Endowment Fund; 2011-3-1