Fragment (Italy), 16th–17th century
In March 1887, Eleanor and Sarah Hewitt purchased a group of European woven and embroidered textiles, lace and costume from Mr. James Jackson Jarves’ collection of over six hundred and sixty pieces on sale at Ortgies Gallery, a Fifth Avenue auction house. The one hundred and fifty-five textiles they purchased that year became the first group of accessioned textiles for the Textile Department at Cooper Union in 1896. From this collection is a striking yellow silk damask with a symmetrical arrangement of large-scale stylized pomegranates and freely curving leaves and scrolls. The size of the motifs and woven side borders are an indication of its likely intended usage as a furnishing fabric.
This object was
Eleanor Garnier Hewitt.
It is credited
Gift of Eleanor and Sarah Hewitt.
Its dimensions are
H x W: 41.3 x 52.1 cm (16 1/4 x 20 1/2 in.)
Cite this object as
Fragment (Italy), 16th–17th century; silk; H x W: 41.3 x 52.1 cm (16 1/4 x 20 1/2 in.); Gift of Eleanor and Sarah Hewitt; 1896-1-2