Dish (France), 1760s
Faïence from Moustiers, France, a town in the Alpine area in the southeast of France, has been made since at least the 16th century. The dynastic families of Clérissy, Olery, and Laugier grew to flourish in the production of high- and low-temperature fired earthenware of especially artistic creativity in the late 17th and 18th centuries. A monastic Prior and economist of Italian origin, Lazzaro Porri is thought to have brought the formula for tin-glazed enamel to the Clérissy family in 1671. Artistic creativity and an increasing range of coloration developed during the 18th century.
Certain motifs are associated with Moustiers and its environs. Engraved sources, such as Callot, are frequent. These decorated ceramics are known to have been sought after in their day. This is evident by the signatures often gracing the wares and by the industry that subsequently developed to both continue and imitate the styles.
This piece is part of a larger proposed gift of Moustiers and area ceramics, almost all from the 18th century, from the collection of Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw. This gift would provide the museum with a wonderful opportunity to have a collection of significant depth in this area, as well as an opportunity to pursue new scholarship on Moustiers.
Our curators have highlighted 1 object that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
H x diam.: 2.8 x 22.5 cm (1 1/8 x 8 7/8 in.)
It has the following markings
On underside: signed under glaze with gray "D"
Cite this object as
Dish (France), 1760s; tin-glazed earthenware; H x diam.: 2.8 x 22.5 cm (1 1/8 x 8 7/8 in.); Gift of Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw; 2006-27-4
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Moustier Ceramics: Gifts from the Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw Collection.