A331 Hanging Lamp, 1953
Aalto viewed lighting as one of many integrated components that could transform people’s surroundings. Many of Aalto's lamps were initially designed for specific building projects, but were then put into serial production. The A331 hanging lamp is one of these; Aalto originally designed it in 1953, as part of the furnishings program for his buildings for the University of Jyväskylä in Jyväskylä, Finland. The lamp was, and still is, marketed by Artek—a company co-founded by Aalto to sell his designs—and has been one of the firm’s most popular lighting fixtures.
This object was
George R. Kravis II.
It is credited
Gift of George R. Kravis II.
Our curators have highlighted 3 objects that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
H x diam.: 30.5 × 33 cm (12 × 13 in.)
Cite this object as
A331 Hanging Lamp, 1953; Designed by Alvar Aalto (Finnish, 1898–1976); enameled aluminum, pierced brass; H x diam.: 30.5 × 33 cm (12 × 13 in.); Gift of George R. Kravis II; 2018-22-90
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Energizing the Everyday: Gifts From the George R. Kravis II Collection.